Tuesday 18 January 2011

Stag Do's? Or Don't Bother?

Beware the Blue Midget
So a mate of mine has invited me on his stag do. Well, his best man has invited me. I should probably qualify before I go any further......
  • The Stag is a work colleague, but a close mate who I have known for 4 years.
  • Stag's best man is a friend from childhood who I have only met once.
  • There is not much mixing between the Stag's 'old school friends' and 'work/later life friends' as Stag doesn't like his world colliding.
So, I've been invited on the Stag Do. Now me and Stag Do's don't tend to mix that well, mainly due to not being a drinker and me ending up babysitting or troubleshooting.

When I discussed said Stag Do with Stag, his exact words were 'I don't want to go abroad, I want it to be fairly low key, I'd quite like to go to the Cheltenham Festival'.

So Email comes in from Best Man, and we will be going to a festival, but it's the Munich Beer Festival.

Further conversation with Stag..... 'It's not really what I want to do and I'm not particularly looking forward to it, but it's what the lads want to do'.

This isn't a stag do. It's a lads holiday. It seems that the best men and a lot of Stag's old school friends are married with kids and this is their one opportunity to go away without their wives and families and go insane. To that extent, it doesn't therefore matter what the Stag wants to do, that's irrelevant. As long as those guys can get their hands on strong beer, drugs and hookers (pure speculation) then they're away.

I am going because my friend asked me to and I'm sure we will have a good time, I'm just not really relishing the prospect and it seems to have lost the spirit of what it is supposed to be about.

At least I get to go to Cheltenham though!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment